What can you do?
One of the most important things that you can do to help end violence against Women and Children is to promote gender equity, healthy relationships, and positive ideas of masculinity by speaking out against gender-based violence.
10 Things You Can Do.*
- Think about the kind of man you want to be. Be true to yourself.
- Be respectful towards women, girls, and other men. Sexism and homophobia hurts us all.
- Never use force, threats, or violence in your relationships with others.
- Ask first. Whether it is holding hands, kissing, or more, it is important to communicate consent.
- Wear a Moose Hide, Deer Hide, or Bear Hide and speak out against violence against women.
- Be a good role model and share with those around you the importance of respecting women and girls.
- Learn about the impact of violence against women in our communities.
- Challenge and speak out against hurtful language, sexist jokes, and bullying.
- Accept your role as a man in helping end violence against women. Gender-based violence affects everyone.
- Start a Moose Hide Campaign in your school, reserve, community, or place of work.
* Taken from the White Ribbon Campaign Website
6 Things Men can do to TAKE A STAND Against Sexual Assault and Harassment
- BELIEVE – This issue is real. Believe survivors’ experiences. Your support will make a difference. Tell the survivor “It’s not your fault”. No one asks for or deserves to be sexually assaulted or harassed.
- TRUST YOUR GUT – Don’t walk on by if you witness harassment or an assault on the street or anywhere: assess the risk, then intervene and confront or diffuse the situation. If you need to, ask for help. Call 911.
- OFFER SUPPORT – Ask if you can help people who have experienced violence and connect them to support services. Help the organizations that support survivors of violence.
- LEAD BY EXAMPLE – Question your own attitudes and behaviors and how they may disrespect or harm women. Sexist language, gratuitous violence, and street harassment all contribute to a culture of violence.
- BE A ROLE MODEL – Talk to your family, friends, and co-workers about the roles they can play in ending violence against women. Challenge men and young men in your life to make a difference!
- LEARN MORE, GET INVOLVED – We have all the resources you need to get involved and make a difference.